What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intro and questions

jackog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, long time iphone user but just bought ipad 10. So far I love it but a couple of concerns. The app icons on the home screen do not have the title of the app, I have to keep looking at my phone to remember what they are ( I am 77). Obviously the icons on the phone are a lot smaller but do show the title so why not the ipad.
Also I get the homescreen set up to my liking then next time i look the icons on the taskbar (?) have moved any way to lock them?.
Thank you for any help given.

Welcome to iPad Forums!

This could be a software glitch. Restarting your device might help. Tap and hold one of the Volume buttons and the button at the top, until the power off slider appears. Drag the slider, then wait for about 30 seconds until you start your device again.

If that doesn‘t help, try force restarting it: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button, do the same with the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the button at the top until the Apple logo appears. As soon as you can see it, release the button.

Also, make sure you‘re not viewing the App Library. If so, swipe to the right to get to the next home screen.

Hope that helps.

Hi everyone, long time iphone user but just bought ipad 10. So far I love it but a couple of concerns. The app icons on the home screen do not have the title of the app, I have to keep looking at my phone to remember what they are ( I am 77). Obviously the icons on the phone are a lot smaller but do show the title so why not the ipad.
Also I get the homescreen set up to my liking then next time i look the icons on the taskbar (?) have moved any way to lock them?.
Thank you for any help given.
Hello and welcome to the forum, I assume you are referring to the 10th generation iPad below - correct? If so, should be running at least iPadOS 16.x unless you've ungraded to 17.x? For starters if not already done, I would suggest you restart the device (directions HERE) - please repost the results - often clears up many issues. Good luck - Dave :)

ADDENDUM: looks like Johanna was typing faster than me - 😁

Screenshot 2024-06-19 at 11.36.18 AM.png

Thanks JA and giradman for your prompt replies. Yes it is a 10th generation Ipad which I have updated to 17.5.1. I have reset it as suggested but have not had a chance yet to see what difference it has made.

I have anothe query, I've got an SSD with a USB-C connector can this be used with Ipad, and if so how could you format it, was previously used on windows/ntfs system?.

Thanks JA and giradman for your prompt replies. Yes it is a 10th generation Ipad which I have updated to 17.5.1. I have reset it as suggested but have not had a chance yet to see what difference it has made.

I have anothe query, I've got an SSD with a USB-C connector can this be used with Ipad, and if so how could you format it, was previously used on windows/ntfs system?.
Hi again - hope the reset corrects your issue - as to your question in bold above, checkout Apple's article HERE - the formatting needed for the drive is discussed (NTFS will not work and a reformat will be needed but plenty of choices); whether the iPad can provide power to your SSD may be a question - the couple of my bus-powered drives that I've attached seem to work fine and can be viewed in the Files app (or an app able to read the drive) - other issues may apply so peruse the link. As for myself, I have not needed to do much with an attached external drive so not a lot of advice. If you have a specific question(s) as to why you want to use the SSD with your iPad, then ask away. Dave

Hi giradman

The other issue seems to be ok now.

Thanks again for your help and that link which was very useful. I read that several file structures were acceptaple including exFAT. I checked the windows attached SSD and it was formatted exFAT. So I plugged it into ipad and it worked and I could see all the files that were on it! Thanks again Gary

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back