What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help 'Moving epub and pdf files from Windows computer to iPad'

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,

Would someone please help with the 'HOW-TO' please.
So far, I tried some paid apps such as Mobikin and Coolmuster IOS assistant but the result was erratic.

Thanks

The Cloud:

If it is something you only do occasionally, and the files are not huge, the easiest way is to use a cloud service like Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud Drive, or OneDrive. You can download the app for he service on the iPad, and/or connect to the service in the Files app.

You can find individual instructions for each service by searching Youtube, or just the web in general.

Apple's Solution:

It used to be that you could install and use iTunes on your Windows computer to do this. It looks like Apple has replaced that with program called Apple Devices. I've never used it, so can't say much more than that.

Connect to a Windows Server:

If you have smb (sharing) services set up on your Windows machine you can connect to it in the Files app on your iPad. Given the nature of most local networks the IP address of your Windows computer may occasionally change, so it can need to be redone, but in my experience it works well.

Email and/or Safari:

You can just email the file to yourself, and download it in the Mail app (or Safari if it's a link). Keep in mind that simply opening/viewing a file in Mail (or Safari) does not save it. You need to share/save it to the Files app, or another app when appropriate.

This is how I get most of my non-DRM books and documents, straight to the iPad from whatever link the site/email gives me. Honestly it's easier to just re-download stuff from the web than go through the trouble of transferring it from a Windows computer; or even my Mac (on the rare occasion it doesn't automatically sync)

Depending on what reader app(s) you are using, you'll probably need to share the file in Files to the app of your choice. Though some apps (like Documents by Readdle) have built in methods to transfer apps from your computer or the web. So check out your preferred read's features before making things more complicated than they might need to be.

. . . .

This is how I get most of my non-DRM books and documents, straight to the iPad from whatever link the site/email gives me. Honestly it's easier to just re-download stuff from the web than go through the trouble of transferring it from a Windows computer; or even my Mac (on the rare occasion it doesn't automatically sync)

Depending on what reader app(s) you are using, you'll probably need to share the file in Files to the app of your choice. Though some apps (like Documents by Readdle) have built in methods to transfer apps from your computer or the web. So check out your preferred read's features before making things more complicated than they might need to be.
Hi,
I installed Apple Devices App. Among the apps shown, there was NO Apple Book app. Hence I cannot get the non-DRM books to add/transfer/sync. I know I got Apple Book app since I've been using it for years on this iPad.
What are my options? Do I need to get another book reader ?
Thanks

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. As I said, I've never used that app, so I can't really help you with it.

On the other hand, if you can use any of the abov e methods to copy the book to the Files app, you can share it to Books from there. Once it is in Books, you can delete it out of the Files app.

IMG_0220.png

I cannot get Books app to show, nor the LOCATION and others as shown on your post.
All I could do so far to get non-DRM books to my iPad by the Calibre Companion or Epub Reader apps. Once they are synced, I can use Apple Books to read.
All the non-DRM books that were on the iPad are still there, but Apple Books refused to open them. I have to upload again with the two mentioned apps.
I wish Apple would release a new iTunes that support epubs.
Meanwhile, I will try to read your instructions again and again.

Attachments

• My Apple Books.jpg
    My Apple Books.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back