What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Old ipad apps onto new ipad $ ipad lockup

Frod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all,

New to this forum. My old ipad has locked up. The battery was getting worse, and finally it went to the Apple logo and stopped there. I have tried every trick in the book to get it to start again, heating, pressing screen, hard reset, pretty much everything and still nothing. Does anyone have any additional ideas? I tried going to itunes but itunes does allow access to the ipad and says that it is locked and i need to provide passcode. Problem is, can access the pad to enter passcode. HELP.

Secondly, because of the above, I am getting a new ipad. Ideally, I would like to get the old one running enough to at least do a back up. But cant do that as of yet. SO, I would like to know if there is a method of getting all my old apps onto the new ipad without having to purchase again. Would vendors recognize that I have already paid for these apps and permit fresh downloads without additional payment?

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to iPad Forums!

When you login on your new device with the same Apple ID that you‘re using on your old iPad, you‘ll be able to download the apps that were there.

Maybe DFU mode will help accessing and backing up your old device:
How To Put An iPhone In DFU Mode, The Apple Way

If it‘s possible to backup your old iPad, you can use that backup and restore it to your new device when it arrives.

Hope that helps.

Welcome to iPad Forums!

When you login on your new device with the same Apple ID that you‘re using on your old iPad, you‘ll be able to download the apps that were there.

Maybe DFU mode will help accessing and backing up your old device:
How To Put An iPhone In DFU Mode, The Apple Way

If it‘s possible to backup your old iPad, you can use that backup and restore it to your new device when it arrives.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the response. Pardon my ignorance about downloading the old apps. How would that work?

Thanks for the response. Pardon my ignorance about downloading the old apps. How would that work?

Hi Frod - welcome to the forum! :) First, hope that the DFU mode helps, i.e. much easier to step up a new iPad w/ a backup in iCloud or on a computer.

Second, if you have to start over - the new iPad setup will include a lot of apps already, but for those that you bought and added (and assuming that you have a valid Apple ID and setup the new iPad w/ the exact same ID) - simply sign into the iPad's 'App Store' - press your ID's icon (see combo screen captures from my iPad below) which will open your 'Account', then press 'Purchased' and the second screen opens showing your purchased apps that will be on the iPad or 'in iCloud' - hit the cloud icons of those that you want to download to the new iPad. Dave

Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 2.37.57 PM.png

Hi Frod - welcome to the forum! :) First, hope that the DFU mode helps, i.e. much easier to step up a new iPad w/ a backup in iCloud or on a computer.

Second, if you have to start over - the new iPad setup will include a lot of apps already, but for those that you bought and added (and assuming that you have a valid Apple ID and setup the new iPad w/ the exact same ID) - simply sign into the iPad's 'App Store' - press your ID's icon (see combo screen captures from my iPad below) which will open your 'Account', then press 'Purchased' and the second screen opens showing your purchased apps that will be on the iPad or 'in iCloud' - hit the cloud icons of those that you want to download to the new iPad. Dave

View attachment 90561

With respect to the old ipad, stupidly I did not do a backup. So I have nothing to restore from. (Please don't yell at me, I have learned my lesson!) So all the apps and a number of teaching recordings are on the old ipad that i really want to get back if possible. Very precious. Not so much concerned about the apps, but very concerned about the recordings. In trying to get the old ipad to open up, I have tried everything suggested online and on youtube, and on apple. With various combinations of button pressing I can get the following;

1. Battery charging light comes on and just sits there.
2. After a while the apple logo comes on but shows no progress bar. Just sits there.
3. Tried do the software update via itunes (where it gives you the option of update or restore) and when doing the update, the apple logo showed a progress bar. Then nothing but fixed apple logo.
4. Never tried to do the "restore, as I was afraid of any possibility of data loss.
5. When doing the upate via itunes, got windows that said " ipad is locked, please enter passcode). I cannot enter the passcode as there is no keypad visible on the screen to enter it. IS THERE A WAY to enter the passcode in some other fashion???

No, there is no other way, if force starting doesn‘t work.
You‘ll have to enter the passcode on the iPad. If that‘s not possible, DFU mode might be the only way to get it working again. The data stored on your iPad will be lost, though.

I'd contact Apple techs support through their support page. Three questions I'd ask. One, if they can recover the data in-store or if you send it in. If yes, how much it would cost. Also, if/when you buy the new iPad, would recovering and restoring the data from the old one be covered by the new iPad's tech support.

All they can do is say no, and if they do say no then you'll have a pretty definitive answer to your issue.

We're all amateurs here, and while we collectively know a lot, we are not the final answer.

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back