What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB-C cables only charge on one side.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Has anyone got this issue.
All of a sudden my 18months old iPad Pro will only charge with cable in one way, I've tried everything, new cable, making sure software is up to date etc but no joy...
I've seen others on searches with the same issue but no answer.

Are you able to get the iPad tested at an Apple Store Genius Bar or an authorized service center to determine what the cause of the problem is.
I addition, have you tried a different charger in case the cause of the problem is the charger and not the cable or iPad?

Last edited:
Has anyone got this issue.
All of a sudden my 18months old iPad Pro will only charge with cable in one way, I've tried everything, new cable, making sure software is up to date etc but no joy...
I've seen others on searches with the same issue but no answer.
Have you checked to see if there is any dust or debris in the charging port?

When you get the problem sorted it might be worth considering a magnetic usb connector. I’ve been using one on my iPad Pro for a year or so now and it works really well. It’s worth spending a little more though as some of the cheap ones are not very strong. It has the benefit of not allowing ‘muck’ into the usb socket. I had to leave them some way apart in the second pic as they kept springing together 😂
I bought mine from Amazon.

IMG_1648.jpeg

IMG_1649.jpeg

Are you able to get the iPad tested at an Apple Store Genius Bar or an authorized service center to determine what the cause of the problem is.
I addition, have you tried a different charger in case the cause of the problem is the charger and not the cable or iPad?
That might have to be my next move .
I've tried a different charger, and three cables.

When you get the problem sorted it might be worth considering a magnetic usb connector. I’ve been using one on my iPad Pro for a year or so now and it works really well. It’s worth spending a little more though as some of the cheap ones are not very strong. It has the benefit of not allowing ‘muck’ into the usb socket. I had to leave them some way apart in the second pic as they kept springing together 😂
I bought mine from Amazon.

View attachment 102923

View attachment 102924
I haven't seen those before, I'll certainly check those out.

Have you tried "very gently" cleaning the port on the iPad with a plastic tooth pick. Or blow it out with canned air. Sometimes ports can be partially blocked by lint or other debris.
Yes, I've done that 2 or 3 times.

Then most likely iPad's port is damaged. If it's only 18 months old, your warrantee may still be good, depending on where and who you bought it from. if you got AppleCare, you should be golden.

There is an Apple Support app which should lead you down the road of repair options, at least those available from Apple.

Then most likely iPad's port is damaged. If it's only 18 months old, your warrantee may still be good, depending on where and who you bought it from. if you got AppleCare, you should be golden.

There is an Apple Support app which should lead you down the road of repair options, at least those available from Apple.
Thank you, no warranty or AppleCare though....
I've been reading up on USB-C ports and many people are of the opinion that they are easily damaged....
Anyone have thoughts on that?

Thank you, no warranty or AppleCare though....
I've been reading up on USB-C ports and many people are of the opinion that they are easily damaged....
Anyone have thoughts on that?

I think the Lightning port is less prone to damage than a USB-C port which has the contacts sticking up in the middle of the port.

I think the Lightning port is less prone to damage than a USB-C port which has the contacts sticking up in the middle of the port.
Yes that's been said....
I'm very careful with my devices and it's really dissapointing to have an issue like this after such a short time.

Another option is to have a case on it that the port is covered up when not being used. I hope you find out what the problem is soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back