What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Carolina Mountains - Beautiful Vistas & Great Retreats!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My same thoughts - Timberlake did not start painting until 1970 - he was then 33 years old - we moved to Winston-Salem in 1971 and saw a number of his earliest works at local galleries (cannot remember the prices but probably around a $1000 or so at that time) - I was on a medical intern's salary and our early art purchases back then were usually in the couple hundred dollar range.

Timberlake was inspired to start painting by seeing the realistic art of Andrew Wyeth (a couple of his works below), also famous for 'Christina's World (1948)' in MOMA in NYC which we seen multiple times and his Helga paintings (saw a nice exhibit of those in Florida a while back); there are a number of Wyeth (prominent artistic family) museums, especially in the New England area that are worth visiting - Dave :)

P.S. just had to add Christina's World, probably the Wyeth that I've seen the most 'in person'.
View attachment 68526 View attachment 68527View attachment 68528
If you get the chance to visit the headquarters of the National Geographic Society in Washington D.C. There are a magnificent series on murals painted on the walls of Hubbard Hall by N.C. Wyeth, Andew Wyeth's father.

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you get the chance to visit the headquarters of the National Geographic Society in Washington D.C. There are a magnificent series on murals painted on the walls of Hubbard Hall by N.C. Wyeth, Andew Wyeth's father.

An amazing artistic family - I've been to the National Geographic Society three or four times over many decades and agree, the murals are fabulous - thanks for the reminder! :)

AND for those who have never visited Washington, D.C., then strongly recommended - there is SO much to see and appreciate, plus the food is so varied and delicious - think I just talked about that elsewhere? Maybe in one of my recent travelogues - BUT, go if you get a chance. Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Chetola Resort in Blowing Rock - July 2016 - 46th Anniversary on July 12

Tomorrow will be our 46th Anniversary, so celebrating w/ a 4-night stay in Blowing Rock at the Chetola Resort (just a 90-minute drive from home w/ nearly a half hour at the end on the Blue Ridge Parkway) - this resort has come up in many posts in this thread. This time we are renting a 2-bedroom condo in a new building for us named Poplar (see map below and the panoramic view from the balcony).

Climbing up the mountains from Wilkesboro to the Blue Ridge Parkway is always a summertime relief - today, the outside temperature was 90Âş F in Wilkesboro but 79Âş F once we hit the Parkway (one panoramic view from an overlook at about 3800 ft). The weather prediction is iffy so not sure how many pics will be coming up - we want to re-visit Grandfather Mtn and drive the Linn Cove Viaduct (all previous posts). Dave :)

P.S. Click on the panoramic shots and pan across (put them in larger than I usually do).
BRock_Poplar_07_16.png
BR_BRPkway07_16.JPG
BRock_Condo.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Chetola & Bass Lakes - New Pics w/ Panoramic Views!

Today, Susan had a morning appointment at the Chetola Resort Spa while I strolled the path around Chetola Lake - a family of swans were at the far end near the small dam - this year there were 6 cygnets, all still had some downy feathers; we've come here earlier in the season when the babies were much smaller. The panoramic views around the lake w/ the lodge & several condo buildings in view were beautiful this morning (as can be seen from our condo balcony); the white tent is the 'events structure', mostly for weddings which are quite popular at this mountain resort.

In the afternoon, I drove to Bass Lake (have shown plenty of pics in previous posts in this thread along w/ a discussion of the Moses Cone Mansion) - the house is now a Crafts Center w/ local and regional art, textiles, pottery, etc. presented for sale; often artisans are on hand demonstrating their skills. The Mansion (white building on the hill) is seen in several pics below. Unfortunately, some afternoon rain put an end to the visit - I brought along my MacBook Air and can easily post.

Tonight is our 'anniversary dinner' - picked Bistro Roca which we enjoyed on our last visit. Dave :)

P.S. Again click on those panoramic images and scan across - I've kind of gone a little nuts on this trip w/ that Lumix camera and this pano technology, which has really improved over the years.
BR2_A1CondoAM.JPG
BR2_A2ChLake1.JPG
BR2_A3ChLakePan1.JPG
BR2_A4PanLodgeEvents.JPG
BR2_B1LodgeCondos.JPG
BR2_B2SwansCygnets.JPG
BR2_B3SwanPapaMama.JPG
BR2_B4LodgeBench.JPG
BR2_B5PanoLodgeBench.JPG
BR2_C1BassLakePanStart.JPG
BR2_C2BassLakeDucksGeese.JPG
BR2_C3BassLakeMallard.JPG
BR2_C4BassLakeCone1.JPG
BR2_C5BassLakeCone2.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chetola & Bass Lakes - New Pics w/ Panoramic Views!

Today, Susan had a morning appointment at the Chetola Resort Spa while I strolled the path around Chetola Lake - a family of swans were at the far end near the small dam - this year there were 6 cygnets, all still had some downy feathers; we've come here earlier in the season when the babies were much smaller. The panoramic views around the lake w/ the lodge & several condo buildings in view were beautiful this morning (as can be seen from our condo balcony); the white tent is the 'events structure', mostly for weddings which are quite popular at this mountain resort.

In the afternoon, I drove to Bass Lake (have shown plenty of pics in previous posts in this thread along w/ a discussion of the Moses Cone Mansion) - the house is now a Crafts Center w/ local and regional art, textiles, pottery, etc. presented for sale; often artisans are on hand demonstrating their skills. The Mansion (white building on the hill) is seen in several pics below. Unfortunately, some afternoon rain put an end to the visit - I brought along my MacBook Air and can easily post.

Tonight is our 'anniversary dinner' - picked Bistro Roca which we enjoyed on our last visit. Dave :)

P.S. Again click on those panoramic images and scan across - I've kind of gone a little nuts on this trip w/ that Lumix camera and this pano technology, which has really improved over the years.
View attachment 72901 View attachment 72902 View attachment 72903 View attachment 72904 View attachment 72905 View attachment 72906 View attachment 72907 View attachment 72908 View attachment 72909 View attachment 72910 View attachment 72911 View attachment 72912 View attachment 72913 View attachment 72914
You did a good job with that Lumix camera, the views are great.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You did a good job with that Lumix camera, the views are great.

Thanks Scifan.. and others for the comments & likes! :) Those panoramic views really give a much better appreciation of walking around this property.

Tonight we ate at Gideon Ridge B&W for our anniversary (mistake in my previous post) - we started w/ a chilled melon/cucumber soup which was delicious; main course for both of us was the braised lamb shank (like an Osso Busco -see quote below) - Susan had a glass of Prosecco and I a couple of glasses of Pinot Noir from the Russian River Vly of California - we shared a strawberry shortcake (her favorite dessert) and a homemade berry sorbet.

Tomorrow, the weather report looks just OK, but we will try Grandfather Mountain for our day trip - if the weather cooperates, then expect some more photos, if not, then sorry - just happens in these mountains. Dave :)

Lamb Shank, 30 Espresso Braised, Local Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Cherry Demi, Asparagus, Baby Carrots, Herb Gremolata

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Here's to good weather for tomorrow.

The weather was partly cloudy w/ a lot of sun - however, the wind was gusting to 35+ mph at the top of Grandfather Mountain making standing still for picture taking more difficult - ;) But next post will show some spectacular views. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The weather was partly cloudy w/ a lot of sun - however, the wind was gusting to 35+ mph at the top of Grandfather Mountain making standing still for picture taking more difficult - ;) But next post will show some spectacular views. Dave :)
I'm glad you made it to the top. I await your pictures.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Grandfather Mountain, Mile High Swinging Bridge, & Cone Mansion!

The weather prediction looked good this morning so we headed south on the Blue Ridge Parkway crossing over the Linn Cove Viaduct (discussed & shown in previous posts) - about a 30-minute drive to Grandfather Mountain - little history quoted below. There is an admission charge (about $16 for seniors) but plenty to do: 1) Drive to the Mile High Bridge; 2) Animal Habitats; 3) Small Nature Museum; 4) Good Cafeteria for lunch; and 5) Plenty of hiking & picnicking opportunities.

We started w/ a drive to the top - the first 8 images below are the spectacular views from various areas around the swinging bridge (which is not the highest elevation of this mountain as stated in the quote) - winds were gusting to 35+ mph and the bridge was swinging a little. A lot of activity below w/ the Grandfather Golf Club & Course (around the small lake) in the middle, and towns of Linville, Banner Elk, and Beach Mountain in the distance.

We then went to the Animal Habitats - about a half dozen - just three areas shown below - the otters were rather disappointing on this visit and we did not see any bear cubs in the trees (as in some of my earlier posts) - we had lunch in the cafeteria, just some sandwiches which were quite good.

On our way back, we stopped at the Moses Cone Mansion (link given a few posts ago), which is now an Arts & Crafts Center - some beautiful items available for purchase. One pic below from the front of the building showing Bass Lake - not bad to sit on your front porch w/ that scene! Back to the condo - we are on the second floor of the 4-unit structure - one of the best views we've had renting at the Chetola Resort - there are several ponds within walking distance and I found a swan in one. Dave :)

Grandfather Mountain is a mountain, a non-profit attraction, and a North Carolina state park near Linville, North Carolina. At 5,946 feet (1,812 m), it is the highest peak on the eastern escarpment of the Blue Ridge Mountains, one of the major chains of the Appalachian Mountains.

On September 29, 2008, North Carolina Governor Mike Easley announced that the state had agreed to purchase 2,600 acres (11 km2) of the undeveloped portions of Grandfather Mountain from the Morton family for $12 million. The area has been added to the North Carolina State Park system, becoming the 34th North Carolina state park. The Morton family established the Grandfather Mountain Stewardship Foundation to continue to operate the travel destination as an educational nature park. Grandfather Mountain State Park was officially established in 2009 (Source).
GFMtn_A1.JPG
GFMtn_A2.JPG
GFMtn_A3.JPG
GFMtn_A4.JPG
GFMtn_A5.JPG
GFMtn_A6.JPG
GFMtn_A7.JPG
GFMtn_A8.JPG
GFMtn_B1.JPG
GFMtn_B2.JPG
GFMtn_B3.JPG
GFMtn_C1.JPG
GFMtn_C2.JPG
GFMtn_C3.JPG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grandfather Mountain, Mile High Swinging Bridge, & Cone Mansion!

The weather prediction looked good this morning so we headed south on the Blue Ridge Parkway crossing over the Linn Cove Viaduct (discussed & shown in previous posts) - about a 30-minute drive to Grandfather Mountain - little history quoted below. There is an admission charge (about $16 for seniors) but plenty to do: 1) Drive to the Mile High Bridge; 2) Animal Habitats; 3) Small Nature Museum; 4) Good Cafeteria for lunch; and 5) Plenty of hiking & picnicking opportunities.

We started w/ a drive to the top - the first 8 images below are the spectacular views from various areas around the swinging bridge (which is not the highest elevation of this mountain as stated in the quote) - winds were gusting to 35+ mph and the bridge was swinging a little. A lot of activity below w/ the Grandfather Golf Club & Course (around the small lake) in the middle, and towns of Linville, Banner Elk, and Beach Mountain in the distance.

We then went to the Animal Habitats - about a half dozen - just three areas shown below - the otters were rather disappointing on this visit and we did not see any bear cubs in the trees (as in some of my earlier posts) - we had lunch in the cafeteria, just some sandwiches which were quite good.

On our way back, we stopped at the Moses Cone Mansion (link given a few posts ago), which is now an Arts & Crafts Center - some beautiful items available for purchase. One pic below from the front of the building showing Bass Lake - not bad to sit on your front porch w/ that scene! Back to the condo - we are on the second floor of the 4-unit structure - one of the best views we've had renting at the Chetola Resort - there are several ponds within walking distance and I found a swan in one. Dave :)

View attachment 72939 View attachment 72940 View attachment 72941 View attachment 72942 View attachment 72943 View attachment 72944 View attachment 72945 View attachment 72946 View attachment 72947 View attachment 72948 View attachment 72949 View attachment 72950 View attachment 72951 View attachment 72952
Those wonderful pictures certainly made the trip to Grandfather Mountain worth it.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Those wonderful pictures certainly made the trip to Grandfather Mountain worth it.

Thanks Scifan.. - always enjoyable to drive to the Mile High Bridge - now for those who may not have noticed in several of my photos, there is a LARGE structure on a far mountain ridge (see re-shown image w/ arrow below). This is the Sugar Top Resort on Sugar Mountain (10 story condo complex) which was the most controversial building project in North Carolina because of its visual disruption of the mountain ridge (I've always hated looking at the structure from Grandfather Mountain) - a short quote from the link provided, and a close-up view from the web). Susan & I have been to the top of Sugar Mountain but not into that condo building. Dave :)

The building of Sugar Top became the most controversial living quarters in the history of North Carolina, and because of this, the Avery County Board of Commissioners passed a moratorium in March of 1983 on all High Rise construction in the county, in anticipation of a State Ridge Law. That Ridge Law made Sugar Top the last of it’s kind to be built on the ridge of a mountain, and that law was made even before the building was occupied. However, all 320 units were planned and designed well before the battle for the statewide ridge top development regulation began in the legislature. Therefore, Sugar Top is exempt from the law’s provisions.
GFMtn_A2 copy.jpg
5363993609_3e320d1717.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Greedy developers who build structures like this can end up destroying the very scenery that attracts people to the area in the first place.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Greedy developers who build structures like this can end up destroying the very scenery that attracts people to the area in the first place.

Well, at least a state law was passed prohibiting such construction in the future - the original plan was to build a 5-story wood & steel building but there are occasional 'hurricane' speed winds there and the plans were changed to the present 'eye-sore' - a low wooden building might not have even been noticed from Grandfather Mountain? Dave :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Our third full day in Blowing Rock and the weather prediction is good, so maybe another day trip? Currently checking my email and several forums. There are a lot of interesting areas to explore, but if Susan agrees, I might do a 'loop drive', i.e. go back down the Blue Ridge Parkway -> HW 221 to Linville - then HW 105 N to one of the premier 'skiing areas' in North Carolina, i.e. Sugar & Beech Mountains around Banner Elk, there are plenty of Arts shops in the area, plus several wineries - in the summer these resorts still have many activities, including ski lift rides which we enjoy greatly.

Then we will return to HW 105N and visit the Grandfather Vineyard & Winery which will be a new experience; after simply continue on HW 105 into Boone (the largest town in the area and home of ASU, Appalachian State University) - HW 321 brings us back into Blowing Rock.

Also circled on the map below is Valle Crucis, the location of the original Mast General Store (pic below) which is on a winding mountain country road - we will not return today, but for those in the area, this is a MUST visit - in business over a century - entering takes one back into time - see the opening description from the link. Dave :)

The small community of Valle Crucis is North Carolina’s first rural historic district and is where you’ll find the Original Mast General Store and the Mast Store Annex. Still the center of the community, the Original Mast Store houses the Post Office and offers up a 5¢ cup of coffee. Traversing its creaking floorboards, you’ll find country gourmet foods, cast iron cookware, speckleware, old-fashioned toys, footwear for all walks of life, hardware, and even a pair of galluses, if you need them.
Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 8.46.56 AM.png
1260_new-org-store.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts