What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reducing Video size

joody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just transferred some photos (videos actually) from ipad to desktop.
It plays in Quick time. The one I want to reduce in particular is 174,042kb (1 :25 mins).

Can anyone show me (easily) how to reduce same so I can forward it on to someone.

Judy

OP
J

joody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iMovie is only available on OS x :(

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iMovie can be used on your iPad. It's an app, and you should find it in App Store.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a newer device, such as the iPad Air or iPad mini with retina display, iMovie is a free download in the App Store.

OP
J

joody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks JA & scifan57 - I now have the iMovie installed on iPad and also Video Player on desktop. All I want to do is reduce the video from 174042kb so I can send it to someone. I still don't know how to do that. I wasn't going to worry about editing it at this stage (and I wouldn't know how to)

OP
J

joody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I open iMovie on iPad, I get rows and rows of videos (some need to be deleted) - don't know how to do that, as there is no provision, in fact I can't drag anything down to the time line as there is no timeline there.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The bottom of the screen is the timeline area. Tap and hold on one of the clips until it highlights, then drag it to the bottom of the screen.

If you don't understand, go ahead and use the link I provided to familiarize yourself with the app.

OP
J

joody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet - its no good - I am not getting a timeline at the bottom of the screen on iPad. Can't understand the site you sent either, but thanks, I appreciate you trying to help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you are in iMovie and not seeing what you are supposed to see, take a screen shot and post it here.

You take a screen shot by briefly pressing the home and power button at the same time. There will be a brief screen flash and probably a click. The image will show up in your camera roll in the Photos app.

Use the Upload A File button at the bottom of the forums text editor to send the image.

If there is private/sensitive information in the screen shot, you can use the free Skitch app to obscure portions of the image, or point things out. If you've seen images with arrows and circles and stuff on the forum, they were probably created with Skitch.

Give me a few moments and I will create a Skitch image for the iMovie editor screen with the various areas labeled.

OP
J

joody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a whole page of individual reels, but when I took a pic as per your instructions, only one reel came out, which I have taken a photo of. So how do I get it on to your site since my options are only email, face book etc.
If I go into my desktop and look at them, I see all the individual videos, but don't know how to get into the one I just "copied". In other words, how do I move around the iPad when its on my desktop?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok. My instructions were a bit off. You tap to select then add to the timeline, not drag. Here is how iMovie looks and works. I've already created a new project using the Simple template; which adds the least effects.

Make sure you are in the Projects tab at the top, then tap the + icon at the top right to create a new Project; then choose your template. You can play templates to get an idea of the kind of movie they are meant to create.

{Thinking over what you say you are seeing, you might be in the Videos tab view, which just shows the more recent video clips in your Camera Roll. Go to Projects.}

These are the basic areas.

Video Preview shows the current frame, as determined by the white line in the Timeline.

Video Clips shows all videos stored in the Photos app. These are the clips a available for your project. You can also take clips in-app by using the camera icon at the lower right. Those clips will be added directly to the Timeline.

Timeline shows all clips added to the current project, in order of play, with any effects added before or in-between clips. This is also where you will do any editing of the clips.

iMoive_1.jpg

With the above view, tap the clip you want to add to the Timeline, and then select the down icon.

iMovie_2.png

{Tap the (?) icon at the top left, then More Help at the bottom left for online iMovie help. It will be pretty much the same thing as I linked before.}

Your screen should now look something like this. You are ready to export the clip at a new size, or do some trimming and editing before exporting.

iMovie_3.png

Back out to the selected project view (or whatever it's called). Here you can use the export icon (looks like a box with an down arrow) to choose a destination for the movie, and then an export size.

iMovie_4.png

Good luck.

OP
J

joody

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, will give it a go but later today.

Most reactions

Latest posts