What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS

fearangel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 2 with iOS 6.2.1 (jailbroken) and I want to erase everything and upgrade to ios 7.0.6 in order to jailbreak.
In itunes when using a restore with a ipsw file (iPad2,2_7.0.6_11B651_Restore.ipsw) , itunes gives an unknown error 3004.

Have followed this tutorial but does't work .. I've tested on 5 PC's but got the same error.

I really need to clean my iPad is too slow...

Any idea?

thank you

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 2 with iOS 6.2.1 (jailbroken) and I want to erase everything and upgrade to ios 7.0.6 in order to jailbreak. In itunes when using a restore with a ipsw file (iPad2,2_7.0.6_11B651_Restore.ipsw) , itunes gives an unknown error 3004. Have followed this tutorial but does't work .. I've tested on 5 PC's but got the same error. I really need to clean my iPad is too slow... Any idea? thank you
You're getting the error message because you are trying to restore to an iOS version that Apple is no longer signing. You have to restore to the latest iOS version, iOS 7.1.1 or iOS 7.1 as Apple is still signing both versions.

Try the tutorial again, this time using the ipsw file for iOS 7.1.

fearangel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You're getting the error message because you are trying to restore to an iOS version that Apple is no longer signing. You have to restore to the latest iOS version, iOS 7.1.1 or iOS 7.1 as Apple is still signing both versions.

Try the tutorial again, this time using the ipsw file for iOS 7.1.

Thanks for the help.
But I do not want to update to version 7.1.1 because I will not be able to jaibreak. I use VPN to an application that only works with jailbreak ... I need version 7.0.6.
thank you

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. But I do not want to update to version 7.1.1 because I will not be able to jaibreak. I use VPN to an application that only works with jailbreak ... I need version 7.0.6. thank you
You can't get iOS 7.0.6, it's iOS 7.1.1 or nothing.

The tutorial you were trying to use is only for updating to the latest iOS version. Trying to use any other than the ipsw file for the latest iOS version it will cause the process to fail.

Last edited:

fearangel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can't get iOS 7.0.6, it's iOS 7.1.1 or nothing.

The tutorial you were trying to use is only for updating to the latest iOS version. Trying to use any other than the ipsw file for the latest iOS version it will cause the process to fail.

ok! I understand ! then I will keep the version I have now.
Just one last question ... how do I do reset the iPad entirely and set up as new iPad? my ipad is slow want to reinstall everything.
In the settings does not work the option to restore (and I do not use because I have jailbreak).
thanks

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok! I understand ! then I will keep the version I have now.
Just one last question ... how do I do reset the iPad entirely and set up as new iPad? my ipad is slow want to reinstall everything.
In the settings does not work the option to restore (and I do not use because I have jailbreak).
thanks

You could try to use either the tweak iLex R.A.T or the tweak Semi-Restore to "clean" everything off your iPad (except the iOS version and the jail break). These two function as restore tools for jail broken devices.

I've never used either, so can't tell you which one is best, whether they work on the iPad or that they will get you the result you wish. I have read of people having success with either of these tweaks - but some have not.

I can tell you they are the only way you can "reset" an iPad yet still keep a jail break.

Marilyn

hsamhan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently jailbroke my ipad but when the jailbreak installation finished the apple icon was on the screen and it has been there for 2 days now, the ipad won't respond or do anything, i tried to connect it to my laptop so i can restore it to factory settings but the laptop doesn't detect anything connected to it (the cable works fine) could you please help

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recently jailbroke my ipad but when the jailbreak installation finished the apple icon was on the screen and it has been there for 2 days now, the ipad won't respond or do anything, i tried to connect it to my laptop so i can restore it to factory settings but the laptop doesn't detect anything connected to it (the cable works fine) could you please help

Connect your device to your computer and place it into DFU mode as per the instructions. DFU mode installation bypasses quite a few issues that may still exist on Recovery Mode.

Jubanton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All,

Have an iPad 2 GSM and followed the helpful tutorial.... even cleaned the host file and removed the references to gs.apple.com but when I shift restore in DFU mode, I still get an 3194 error.

I did notice that before I went into Tiny Umbrella, the advanced tab with Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit was completely greyed out and couldn't be checked or unchecked. I also downloaded the latest version 7.06!

Help please....

Jubanton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok found 7.1.2.... but it takes a really long time at restoring iPad firmware. Is this normal?

Jubanton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad remains frozen while firmware is being restored but no progress occurs. I see 7.1.2 has caused issues for some but my iPad appears permanently stuck in recovery mode.

Help!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad remains frozen while firmware is being restored but no progress occurs. I see 7.1.2 has caused issues for some but my iPad appears permanently stuck in recovery mode.

Help!

It may take a long time. All I can suggest is to hang in there.

And, apologies for the other link not containing the up-to-date firmware. I'll get that sorted...

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts