What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad with IOS 6.0 to 6.1 using evasi0n

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPadForums tutorial for jailbreaking your iPad with a 6.0 to 6.1.2 firmware using evasi0n from the evad3rs!

Preparation
Download the latest version of the evasi0n tool for your desktop PC OS from the official site here - http://evasi0n.com/
The minimum requirements for the tool are that you are running Windows XP, Mac OSX 10.5, or Linux.
And before you go any further, heed the important information... ;)

• Backup your iPad using either iTunes or iCloud before you start to safeguard your data!
  • Disable the passcode lock on your device before running evasi0n
  • Be patient when the jailbreak is running. Do not start iTunes, xCode, or anything else which could interfere with it.
  • Don't disconnect your device whilst the jailbreak is in progress
Let's Jailbreak!
  1. Connect your iPad to your PC (close down iTunes if you have it set to auto-start)
  2. Launch the evasi0n tool
    eva_01.png
  3. Press the "jailbreak" button
  4. Sit back and relax as evasi0n works its magic
  5. When prompted (and only when prompted), unlock the device and press the new evad3rs jailbreak icon once!
    eva_07.png
  6. Done!
    eva_09.png
You should find the new "Cydia" application icon on your springboard at the end of the list of Apps.

rst_10.png

Congratulations - You are now the proud owner of a 6.x Jailbroken Device!
Now launch Cydia and start exploring the brave new world!

Next Steps...
If you are new to jailbreaking, you might like to review our guide to Cydia here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ydia-beginners-guide-jailbreak-app-store.html
And if you install OpenSSH, don't forget to change your default password for added security. See our guide here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ides/28213-how-use-secure-shell-ssh-ipad.html
If you happen to run into compatibility issues with tweaks not working, you will likely discover Safe Mode. Find out more about it here - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-use-safe-mode-maintain-stable-jailbreak.html

Last edited:

anderson958

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need some advice. I've jailbroken both my iPad 3 and iPhone 4 today, successfully. On the iPhone 4, I unintentionally restored my backup from iCloud before jailbreaking and went ahead and tried the jailbreak, worked beautifully. (Now if the Cydia servers would just free up....) On the iPad 3, though, I can't restore my backup from iCloud after jailbreaking, not sure why. I got the spinning circle for a long time (20 minutes or so), tried about 3 times, so I concluded something wasn't working. So, I'm in the middle of restoring my backup BEFORE jailbreaking. I'll let you know how it goes. But here's my question: what is the best sequence of restoring my backups after jailbreaking? (I have all my Cydia stuff backed up on pkgbackup, so I'm crossing my fingers that that will work, probably in a day or two when things cool down).

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I need some advice. I've jailbroken both my iPad 3 and iPhone 4 today, successfully. On the iPhone 4, I unintentionally restored my backup from iCloud before jailbreaking and went ahead and tried the jailbreak, worked beautifully. (Now if the Cydia servers would just free up....) On the iPad 3, though, I can't restore my backup from iCloud after jailbreaking, not sure why. I got the spinning circle for a long time (20 minutes or so), tried about 3 times, so I concluded something wasn't working. So, I'm in the middle of restoring my backup BEFORE jailbreaking. I'll let you know how it goes. But here's my question: what is the best sequence of restoring my backups after jailbreaking? (I have all my Cydia stuff backed up on pkgbackup, so I'm crossing my fingers that that will work, probably in a day or two when things cool down).

1) a backup can take a long time to restore via iCloud depending on its size. Some of my large backups are a couple of GB - 20 minutes might not be long enough to wait.
2) if your backup is on iCloud, you must restore it before jailbreaking due to the way IOS6 works. That is no problem with this jailbreak as the backup mechanism is being exploited in a very different way than Absinthe (which performed a full backup and restore).

So the sequence is.

1. Backup.
2. iTunes restore to IOS 6.1
3. Choose to restore from backup when finished
4. Jailbreak using evasi0n

Last edited:

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
1) a backup can take a long time to restore via iCloud depending on its size. Some of my large backups are a couple of GB - 20 minutes might not be long enough to wait.
2) if your backup is on iCloud, you must restore it before jailbreaking due to the way IOS6 works. That is no problem with this jailbreak as the backup mechanism is being exploited in a very different way than Absinthe (which performed a full backup and restore).

So the sequence is.

1. Backup.
2. iTunes restore to IOS 6.1
3. Choose to restore from backup when finished
4. Jailbreak using evasi0n

Okay confused again!
O thought we were supposed to JB with evasi0n before restore from back up.
Sorry just want to make sure i follow the correct steps.
Thx,
Obviously afraid to make the upgrade and lose my 5.1.1 JB

Sent from my iPad using iPF

gamehunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've jailbroken successfully my ipad 4 WiFi 16 G today but i can't install any JB apps (*.ipa file). It keep say "invalid app", please help me out.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All you have to do, if the "restore from backup" isn't working in iTunes, is go back to the App Store and re-download the apps that aren't transferring over.

Once you've you've bought an app, it's yours, so it's a simple matter of getting them from the App Store.

Marilyn

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay confused again!
O thought we were supposed to JB with evasi0n before restore from back up.

Well, if your backup is on iCloud, I'd love to know how you would restore it after? Can't be done AFAIK, unless I'm missing something fundamental?
If you backup with iTunes, that's OK, but not iCloud.
Where are you seeing the advice that it must be after the JB for evasi0n?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
More than likely, f4780y, it's my advice about "restoring from backup" after jail breaking that is being seen/quoted.

I don't use iCloud backup, so wasn't differentiating between the two types of backup. Heck, I didn't know that you had to restore the iCloud backup first. Sorry! :)

So, my advice had been to restore the backup after jail breaking to save time (in case the JB got messed up); I was referencing an iTunes backup - but not explicitly.

So, that's my bad.

Now that I know the difference, I'll make sure to emphasize that you must put the iCloud backup onto the iPad at the restore point while, with an iTunes backup, it won't matter.

Marilyn

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
More than likely, f4780y, it's my advice about "restoring from backup" after jail breaking that is being seen/quoted.

I don't use iCloud backup, so wasn't differentiating between the two types of backup. Heck, I didn't know that you had to restore the iCloud backup first. Sorry! :)

So, my advice had been to restore the backup after jail breaking to save time (in case the JB got messed up); I was referencing an iTunes backup - but not explicitly.

So, that's my bad.

Now that I know the difference, I'll make sure to emphasize that you must put the iCloud backup onto the iPad at the restore point while, with an iTunes backup, it won't matter.

Marilyn

No bother ;) Hadn't seen it posted anywhere, otherwise I would have mentioned it :D

wench

iPF Novice
Reaction score
f4780y said:
Well, if your backup is on iCloud, I'd love to know how you would restore it after? Can't be done AFAIK, unless I'm missing something fundamental?
If you backup with iTunes, that's OK, but not iCloud.
Where are you seeing the advice that it must be after the JB for evasi0n?

I backed up with iTunes, not cloud.
I will just try the upgrade and JB today following the tutorial you wrote.
Sorry if i confused you both, just want to do it right, and hopefully you will hear no more rom me

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I backed up with iTunes, not cloud.
I will just try the upgrade and JB today following the tutorial you wrote.
Sorry if i confused you both, just want to do it right, and hopefully you will hear no more rom me

Still always happy to hear from you ;)

shenacat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm doing a jailbreak now, and Injecting Stage 2 step 1/3 is taking a really long time, and it's making me quite nervous!
If the jailbreak fails, what is procedure? DFU again or can we just restart evasi0n?
here's hoping it makes it...

Most reactions

Latest posts