What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Caps Lock on on Startup with Hardware Keyboard

tigerdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For some months now, I have found the caps lock on when starting my iPad Pro (iOS 17.3.1) with the Apple hardware (detachable) keyboard. It wasn't always this way, and it doesn't always do it. I am unable to associate it with any particular app or situation. it will do it in an e-mail, SpanishDictionary, or SMS Messaging. It goes off when I tap the Caps Lock button, but by then, I've often typed half a line. It is annoying to have to go back and retype what I have just input. I've tried turning off the iPad and restarting it; looking off a setting in Settings (turning off Enable Caps Lock in General has no effect), and under Hardware Keyboard, but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For some months now, I have found the caps lock on when starting my iPad Pro (iOS 17.3.1) with the Apple hardware (detachable) keyboard. It wasn't always this way, and it doesn't always do it. I am unable to associate it with any particular app or situation. it will do it in an e-mail, SpanishDictionary, or SMS Messaging. It goes off when I tap the Caps Lock button, but by then, I've often typed half a line. It is annoying to have to go back and retype what I have just input. I've tried turning off the iPad and restarting it; looking off a setting in Settings (turning off Enable Caps Lock in General has no effect), and under Hardware Keyboard, but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks.
Have you checked for any debris around the Caps lock key causing it to stick?

Last edited:
OP
T

tigerdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The keyboard has a sealed rubber cover so there's no way for debris to cause it to stick. I carefully checked the button, though, and it does not stick at all. So, sorry, that's not it.

Attachments

• IMG_5960.jpg
    IMG_5960.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's probably a hardware issue with the keyboard. At a guess, I'd say that the process of opening/closing the iPad keyboard case is causing the Caps Lock key to be pressed, either through an internal short, or otherwise.

A quick question, when you open the case, do grab it anywhere near the Caps Lock key? A long shot, but really the only thing I can think of that doesn't mean the keyboard itself likely has a fault.

I'd also suggest a close look at the key for any deformity or other indication that it might be physically off, but your picture of it looks good, so probably not.

There is, of course, a small chance that this is a software malfunction. Since you've done a restart the next step would be a complete system restore; an awfully big hammer to use when the chance of fixing the issue is so small.

As you've discovered, there is setting that effects the default state of Caps Lock. As far as I can tell the Enable Caps Lock setting only effects the touch keyboard. It allows you to toggle Caps Lock on by double tapping the Shift key.

The last thing I can think of is also a long shot. Assuming you are using a U.S. keyboard, make sure you've selected the U.S. keyboard under the keyboard hardware settings. A mismatch of hardware and this setting 'might' do something unexpected. I don't know.

Not very helpful, I know, but thats all I can think of at the moment.

OP
T

tigerdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's probably a hardware issue with the keyboard. At a guess, I'd say that the process of opening/closing the iPad keyboard case is causing the Caps Lock key to be pressed, either through an internal short, or otherwise.

A quick question, when you open the case, do grab it anywhere near the Caps Lock key? A long shot, but really the only thing I can think of that doesn't mean the keyboard itself likely has a fault.

I'd also suggest a close look at the key for any deformity or other indication that it might be physically off, but your picture of it looks good, so probably not.

There is, of course, a small chance that this is a software malfunction. Since you've done a restart the next step would be a complete system restore; an awfully big hammer to use when the chance of fixing the issue is so small.

As you've discovered, there is setting that effects the default state of Caps Lock. As far as I can tell the Enable Caps Lock setting only effects the touch keyboard. It allows you to toggle Caps Lock on by double tapping the Shift key.

The last thing I can think of is also a long shot. Assuming you are using a U.S. keyboard, make sure you've selected the U.S. keyboard under the keyboard hardware settings. A mismatch of hardware and this setting 'might' do something unexpected. I don't know.

Not very helpful, I know, but thats all I can think of at the moment.

Thanks for your considered response.

It occurred to me too, that I might be pressing the Caps Lock key when opening the keyboard, so I carefully avoided it a few times, but the problem recurred.

No, the key does not appear deformed or in any way damaged.

Not going to the complete rebuild at this point, for reasons you mentioned.

There are two "U.S." selections in the keyboard settings, "U.S." and "U.S. International PC." I have tried both and the problem persists.

What I have done for the moment is to go to Modifier Keys under Keyboards and set the Caps Lock Key to "No Action." so far, the issue has not recurred, but as I have said it's intermittent. I'll post back here in a day or so with results. Meanwhile, I have no caps lock function I (unless I want to modify one of the other keys, which I could do), but that's less of an issue than the annoyance of having caps lock on when I don't need it.

Thanks again for your help with this. Much appreciated!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad you found a fix, imperfect as it is.

As a further troubleshooting experiment you could pair you iPad with any existing bluetooth keyboard you've got laying around and see if the problem duplicates. Of course it would be even better if you have family or friends with the same model keyboard that you could borrow for a while.

OP
T

tigerdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had a few days to see the results. The workaround I used (turn off the Caps Lock button under Settings) has consistently worked. I did borrow my partner's iPad keyboard and did NOT experience the issue, so I'm fairly certain the problem is with the hardware and not the software, and the real solution is to replace the keyboard. Not sure I'm going to do that any time soon. Thanks for your help!

Most reactions

Latest posts