What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North Carolina Mountains - Beautiful Vistas & Great Retreats!

BRAHM (Blowing Rock Art & History Museum) - Part 2

The largest and most interesting exhibit for me was the Jagged Path: the African Diaspora in Western North Carolina in Craft, Music, & Dance which had a standing 6-panel (2nd pic below) discussion of African American culture in the NC mountains, both slaves and freemen in the antebellum area. African slaves were brought to the area as early as the 1540s as part of the Hernando de Soto expedition. I was most interested in the music and dance portions of the exhibit, including the steel body guitar of Houston Stackhouse (1910-1980), who was actually a Mississippi born Delta Blues guitarist and singer; of course, the banjo, an African instrument plays such an important role in the music of the American Southeast, especially in Bluegrass music. Dave :)

BrahmSep22_D0.JPG
BrahmSep22_D1a.JPG
BrahmSep22_D1b.JPG
BrahmSep22_D2.JPG
BrahmSep22_D3.JPG
BrahmSep22_D4.JPG
BrahmSep22_D5.JPG
BrahmSep22_D6.JPG
BrahmSep22_D7.JPG
BrahmSep22_D8.JPG

North Carolina Mountains - Banner Elk - July 2024 Trip

July is our anniversary month, so decided on a mountain trip AGAIN! This time staying in a small cabin (first pics below from their website), location on Sugar Mountain - we're at 4240 ft! Left Winston Salem about 12:30 PM and the temperature was in the low 90s (F) - has been hot for a while and the lawns look terrible - arrived at our rental house and was 78º F - what a relief. Last pics my own, i.e. view from one of several porches - ate at Sorrento's tonight (described in more detail with menu a page or two back) - Susan had shrimp francese (which she loves but rarely sees as a selection); I had one of the half dozen specialties for the night halibut, pan seared with a beurre blanc sauce, served with delicious garlic mash potatoes and sautéed veggies. We'll be mostly relaxing and repeating some activities described before in and around Banner Elk. Dave

BannerElkJul24_A1.png
BannerElkJul24_A2.jpeg
BannerElkJul24_A3.jpeg
BannerElkJul24_A4.jpeg
BannerElkJul24_A5.JPG
BannerElkJul24_A6.JPG

Lees-McRae College - Wildcat Lake - Banner Elk Winery

First afternoon activities - drive to the southern end of Lees-McRae College, small private school established in Banner Elk in 1900, named after two women, and sits in the Appalachian Mountains at 3,720 feet above sea level, the highest elevation of any American college or university east of the Mississippi River; the campus is more extensive than the first web pic below.

Wildcat Lake (aerial view second pic) is a 13-acre lake owned and operated by the college and provides a number of water-related activities along with playgrounds, covered shelters, grilling units, and rental buildings for private events. I took about a mile round trip walk and took a number of pics, below a mixture of my own and a few found online.

Banner Elk Winery for a return visit and to share an afternoon aperitif - :) I had a glass of their current chardonnay which was quite good (their bottle prices for this grape have really escalated over the years so did not make a purchase). Susan had her favorite, i.e. one of their sangrias but this time got a flight of all four (each described in the last pic). Easy afternoon for two oldsters, and looking forward to our dinner tonight.

BannerElkJul24_B1.jpg
BannerElkJul24_B2.jpg
BannerElkJul24_B3.JPG
BannerElkJul24_B4.JPG
BannerElkJul24_B5.JPG
BannerElkJul24_B6a.JPG
BannerElkJul24_B6b.JPG
BannerElkJul24_B7a.JPG
BannerElkJul24_B7b.JPG
BannerElkJul24_B8a.JPG
BannerElkJul24_B8b.JPG
BannerElkJul24_B8c.JPG

Anniversary Dinner at the Artisanal

Two years ago we had our anniversary dinner at this top Banner Elk restaurant (which is seasonal, i.e. May to October), so now we returned tonight - pics below of the outside and inside of the establishment (shown previously in 2022) - the offering is a 3-course prix fixe dinner - menus for the first and second course for the evening below, ending with a 3rd dessert course. Susan started with the corn & potato soup and I with the tuna tartare, then we both had the lamb tenderloin, medium rare - I also had a couple of glasses of an excellent Oregon Pinot Noir - special place for a special event! Highly recommended for those traveling in the area BUT expect a substantial bill! ;)
BannerElkJul24_C1.jpg
BannerElkJul24_C2.png
BannerElkJul24_C3.jpg
BannerElkJul24_C4.png
BannerElkJul24_C5.png

Grandfather Mountain Highland Games

The Grandfather Mountain Highland Games are held annually in July and attract 30,000 - 40,000 attendees - if we are coming to the Banner Elk area that month we tend to avoid the long weekend of the games (gets really crowded and traffic congestion is an issue) - but, our anniversary date this year hit the time of the games. Over the decades, we have never attended the games (neither of us having any Scottish ancestry), but some info might be of value to readers in the region who might want to go in upcoming years (the games end today).

Below just some summaries from two links - for those interested much more at the websites, especially on the types of games which also include track and field sports. The pics below are all from the web - McRae's Meadow (second pic) on the mountain is the site of the event - tents represent the 'clans' and other offerings, such as food and souvenirs - also many attendees camp out (others stay at regional hotels and likely other rental options). The games are geared for men, women and children; apparently there are 'pro' and 'amateur' categories.

The Grandfather Mountain Highland Games is a Highland games event that has been held annually since 1956 at Grandfather Mountain, North Carolina. Celebrating the history and culture of Scots in North Carolina, it is among the first and largest modern Highland games established in the United States. Competitions and displays take place in Scottish styles of piping, drumming, costume, dance, and traditional sports. (Source)
The Scottish people have a long and rich history in the state of North Carolina. After the Battle of Cullodenin 1746, Highland Clearances left many Scottish clans with no home. During the time after the clearances, North Carolina became one of the most popular destinations. The local government in North Carolina urged Highland Scots to come to North Carolina by offering them land and tax exemptions. At first, many groups kept to the eastern shores of North Carolina, but as populations in the states rose, many went west in search of farm land and more space. During the revolutionary war, Scottish immigrants fought on both sides. (Source)
High in the Mountains of Western North Carolina the ancient Celtic spirit beckons. Answering the call, as hundreds of tartan banners unfurl, are the sounds of bagpipes echoing through the valley, and once again, thousands of kilt-clad Scots make their way to MacRae Meadows for their annual gathering and games. Nowhere in the New World is there a place more reminiscent of the Scottish Highlands than the home of America’s grandest Highland Games—Grandfather Mountain, North Carolina. (Source - from the official website reflecting the 'spirit' of the games)

BannerElkJul24_D01.jpg
BannerElkJul24_D02.png
BannerElkJul24_D03.jpg
BannerElkJul24_D04.jpg
BannerElkJul24_D05.jpg
BannerElkJul24_D06.jpg
BannerElkJul24_D07.jpg
BannerElkJul24_D08.jpeg
BannerElkJul24_D09.jpg
BannerElkJul24_D10.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts