What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SanDisc Cruzer

thomquietwolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the adapter
I have the San disc Cruzer
How do I get them to be friends

Thom

Last edited:
I have the adapter
I have the San disc Cruzer
How do I get them to be friends

Thom
Hello Thom - welcome to the forum! But you really need to provide more information - I'm assuming you have a USB thumb drive and via an adapter, you want to plug the device into an iPad - correct? If so, tell us which iPad model you own (need to know the type of charging port, lightning or USB-C) and what iPadOS is installed. Finally, what do you want to do with this connection? Dave

Hello Thom - welcome to the forum! But you really need to provide more information - I'm assuming you have a USB thumb drive and via an adapter, you want to plug the device into an iPad - correct? If so, tell us which iPad model you own (need to know the type of charging port, lightning or USB-C) and what iPadOS is installed. Finally, what do you want to do with this connection? Dave
Lightning...
Move files off...
Mostly pictures(don't want to use cloud etc, thumb drives are so simple)
Maybe On

Lightning...
Move files off...
Mostly pictures(don't want to use cloud etc, thumb drives are so simple)
Maybe On
Hi again Thom - well you still did not provide us with you iPad model or iPadOS installed which impacts on what and how files may be transferred - take a look at Apple's Support Article on the topic which hopefully will help. Also, there are many combo flash drives now that have both connectors (of course, types vary depending on your needs and hardware) on one device (two below of many on Amazon - I own a Lightning-USB drive to store pics from my iPhone but with my new M2 laptop, need one like the first shown). Good luck. Dave

ADDENDUM: on the link, be sure you select the right iPadOS, top left.

USBDrives.jpg

Last edited:
The last of the Lightning port iPads are right on the edge of when USB disks started working on their own in iPadOS. About the same time as the Files app appeared. I don't remember which iPadOS version and iPad Models made this possible.

Before this change, the only way to use a USB Thumb Drive with iOS was to get a special one with a lightning port on the drive, and even then you had to download and use the drives iOS app in the App Store.

If it is going to work, you plug the USB drive into the adaptor, and the adaptor into the Lightning port. The USB drive will show up in the Files app under Locations.

Image.png

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back