What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 8th Generation Locking Up Late in Day

retexan599

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lately (last few months), the iPad has been locking up late in the evening, especially when viewing news apps like Smart News (worst offender), AP news, USA today. I can tell when it is getting slow as it stutters when swiping, etc. If I swipe too much or try to get to home screen, the whole device locks up completely. Cannot even get the on/off/reboot button to respond, until I wait several minutes and then it seems to ‘clear’ and then can turn it off & restart. I find I need to restart the device during the day to minimize the lockups. I have removed and re-downloaded the offending apps, but the problem remains.

Also, the the device does not have sufficient storage available for the latest update to iOS 17. I only bought 32GB with this unit and 29.6 are already used. The update requires 7.61 GB.

iPad 8th gen 32GB since 11/13/2020
iPadOS Version 16.6.1
Wi-Fi plus Cellular; Carrier: Verizon

If I can’t resolve the issue, will be looking at upgrading to a 10th generation.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Hi John - just for starters, you really need to recover some of your storage (delete data, apps, off load, etc.) - as you've discovered buying only 32 GB not too long ago was a poor choice - my current Pro is about that age but I have 256 GB with plenty to spare at the moment - it's going to 'hurt' but you need to get at least 5+ GB off (or even more if you want to do an iPadOS upgrade). Good luck and I'm sure others will 'chime in' with advice - also, assume your battery is OK? Dave

You should really upgrade to a 2024 iPad Air. You get the M2 chip. I have one and it’s really awesome, that 10th gen is not much different than the previous generation.

You should really upgrade to a 2024 iPad Air. You get the M2 chip. I have one and it’s really awesome, that 10th gen is not much different than the previous generation.
I appreciate your advice about the iPad Air. Considered it vs 10th Gen. Felt that the 10th Gen would meet my needs at a lower cost than the Air. I now have the 10th Gen operating (with 256GB) and it works fine. Do not have the lock-ups that precipitated this thread.

Still trying to get used to not having a home button, but there we are.

Thanks again to all.

I appreciate your advice about the iPad Air. Considered it vs 10th Gen. Felt that the 10th Gen would meet my needs at a lower cost than the Air. I now have the 10th Gen operating (with 256GB) and it works fine. Do not have the lock-ups that precipitated this thread.

Still trying to get used to not having a home button, but there we are.

Thanks again to all.
Great John - you will soon forget the need for a home button - good luck! Dave

Most reactions

Back