What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrieve videos from iPad4

BRKV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad4 running iOS 10.3.4. Recently I transferred some mp4 videos to my iPad from my Mac with a cable. I opened the finder on my mac, opened my iPad in the finder, used manage storage, and dragged and dropped my video files to my iPad. The videos appear in the Videos app on my iPad. Unfortunately, my mac crashed and I lost all my files. The videos I copied to my iPad were the last copy of them and I want to retrieve them. I tried connecting the iPad to my mac with the cable to copy these files back but I cannot. Does anyone know how to do it?

Mostly I can just speculate, since I don't have an older iPad to experiment with. But maybe my rambling will trigger some ideas.

Let me make sure I understand where you are.

You connected the iPad to a modernish Mac with a cable.
Got the two devices to trust each other.
Opened the iPad in the Finder
Used the Manage Storage button at the top of the General tab,
Your files were not there.
Nor were they in any of the other tabs.

Or

You are no longer able to get to Manage Storage when connecting your iPad to the Mac.

---------------------------

In the first case, you could try making an "unencrypted" backup of the iPad and use a backup extraction tool.

Make sure the iPad is set to save Videos to the backup.

I'm not familiar with the various extraction tools, but if iMazing has that feature, I'd go with it. It's got a trustworthy reputation.

-----------------------------

In the second case, I don't have any good ideas. We'll, if you have a Windows computer available, you could load iTunes on it and see if that will connect. Be sure to pay attention to any dialogs so you don't accidentally erase the iPad. I'm not sure that's still at thing, but it was once early on in the iPad saga.

Sorry not to be of more help.

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back