What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS5 Jailbreak Strategy Guide

guthrien said:
It apparently was to solve an error message that some users were getting with their iPhone. Oh how I would love to believe it was about Tim Cook's new reign of openness.

Waiting to hear whether this jailbreak works on A5 devices is killing me. If you were his friend wouldn't you shove your iPad 2 into his hand and say, "does this work?!" You'll be loved and respected by people worldwide until the next iDevices come out, but not a word.

Update: he says he's working on the iPhone 4S this weekend, so hope reigns supreme.

Pod2g has a 4S this weekend. He posted it on twitter, crossing my fingers as well.

What's his last update?

this....

No more cache troubles

OK, figured it out, the A5 cache is not a problem anymore.
I sorted it out by doing the untether in a single thread and by flushing all the dcache then all the icache in a row at a strategical point of the process.

It took me like a hundred of tests to find the key. Hard for the nerves.

For the tech guys, here is a link explaining issues related to self modifying code ( or code patching ) on the ARM platform : Caches and Self-Modifying Code - ARM Community....

Another news : I discussed with @saurik today about the launchd boot process, and he's found one missing piece of the puzzle I needed to have a perfectly stable jailbreak. He's definitly one of the best iOS gurus out there. Thank you saurik!

today wed 21 dec...

Hello,

Here is a new video demo of the current status of the 5.0.1 jailbreak running on an iPhone 4.

This is meant to reassure people that were thinking it only works on older iPods.

The jailbreak is near ready for prime time (excluding 4S and iPad 2).

Patches are the same as redsn0w's. Expect the same level of stability.

Some more days to wait. Be patient, we're doing our best.

~pod2g

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, looks like it's close. Only thing that sucks is I leave town tomorrow and I sync my iPhone 4 & Ipad 2 with my home computer so I won't be able to do anything until I get back in town on the 27th :( Hopefully Apple won't release a new update before then. iPad 2 is on 4.3.3 and iPhone 4 is still on 4.2.1. I'll sync both and run TinyUmbrella tonight but I don't think it will do me any good with the new iOS 5 as I believe you're not able to roll it back to saved blobs... I could be mistaken though.

Isn't TinyCFW for iPad's with 3G? My iPad 2 is wifi only so I'd just use the regular Tiny Umbrella right? Or do you mean I need to use TinyCFW for my iPhone 4?

Wookiee2cu said:
Isn't TinyCFW for iPad's with 3G? My iPad 2 is wifi only so I'd just use the regular Tiny Umbrella right? Or do you mean I need to use TinyCFW for my iPhone 4?
My bad, thought you had the 3G iPad.

Not sure how to downgrade the Wifi version

I'm running 5.0 on my WiFi iPad2.
Should I stay on 5.0 or upgrade?
Well the JB be for 5.0 or 5.0.1?

1million said:

Best thing to do when there is no jailbreak for you is staying at the firmware the iDevice is on. Unless hackers tell you it's ok to upgrade, which they didn't tell us yet.

This is from Leigh ~ one of our two resident experts:

" It will likely work on 5.0.1, BUT if you stay on 5.0 then you keep your options open. Once you upgrade your iPad2 to 5.0.1 you can NEVER go back to 5.0 as things stand today. The decision is yours."

I have a Ipad2 wi-fi only that is currently jailbroken on ios 4.3.3. I plan to wait until an the untethered jailbreak is released for ios 5.0.1 before updating, but should I be concerned that Apple might release ios 5.1 before the jailbreak for ios 5.0.1 is released? Is it possible that the release of ios 5.1 would prevent the exploit used to jailbreak ios 5.0.1?

Ok. Thanks. I will keep 5.0 until I here further. I'm not missing this one like I did the 4.3.3 JB.

New post at pod2g-ios.blogspot
So now are waiting for dev team to release untethered jb for A4 devices?
I think it's good news.

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back