What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS5 Jailbreak Strategy Guide

5.0 is over. 5.0.1 is the latest update. I missed 5.0 and updated from 4.3.5 to 5.0.1. We have to wait for a JB... which could take half a year.

Just got an iPad 2 16gb wifi with ios 4.3.5, obviously, can't update to 5.0 and reading all of it, makes me wonder if it makes sense to save the shsh for the current 4.3.5 using tiny umbrella and then update to 5.0.1 and we can revert back to 4.3.5 if any JB is released for the same. is this the right way to do? or can we do it?

I really don't think waiting months for a JB and sitting on an old ios is a nice idea for all the new ipad buyers which now cannot even update to 5.0.

Just got an iPad 2 16gb wifi with ios 4.3.5, obviously, can't update to 5.0 and reading all of it, makes me wonder if it makes sense to save the shsh for the current 4.3.5 using tiny umbrella and then update to 5.0.1 and we can revert back to 4.3.5 if any JB is released for the same. is this the right way to do? or can we do it?

I really don't think waiting months for a JB and sitting on an old ios is a nice idea for all the new ipad buyers which now cannot even update to 5.0.

You can no longer save any SHSH blobs for any iOS other than 5.0.1. And, saving those blobs is only a "hope" because, right now, they are useless due to the way Apple has set up the restore function. As it stands right now, we are only saving those iOS 5.0.1 blobs just in case the jail breaking community can work with them. They can't as of yet...

Getting blobs is not a matter of getting them from the firmware currently running on your iPad; it's an entirely separate process and it makes no difference what firmware is on your iPad. You can only get blobs when Apple is signing that firmware, not after they shut the window. The window to get iOS 4.3.5 was closed quite a few weeks ago, with the advent of iOS 5.0.

Unfortunately, with an iOS 4.3.5 iPad, all you can do is join the rest of the iPad2 jail break hopeful and hope that a jail break is developed soon.

Sorry.

Marilyn

Hmmm... Seems that I cannot save the iOS 5.0.1 blobs. Anyone knows why not?
I have installed the latest version of TU..

Edit: Dunno what just happend but got them saved now... :p

Last edited:
RudyL90 said:
Hmmm... Seems that I cannot save the iOS 5.0.1 blobs. Anyone knows why not?
I have installed the latest version of TU..

Edit: Dunno what just happend but got them saved now... :p

I think you've changed source from "CYDIA" to "Apple" - I saved 5.0 this way.

I like how when I click on Settings on my iPad2 it prompts me to update to 5.0.1. That makes me laugh! I like 5.0 and I know I'll like it more with it JB.

There is a tweak on cydia that removes the update notifier from settings. I dont remember the name as Iam on 4.3.3 but it should be easy enough to find.

But see, you have to be jail broken to use that lovely tweak from Cydia. if you're not jail broke, and you're waiting for a jail break, then you get to stare at that little red badge until there IS a jail break.

I've adopted the one on my iPhone and am calling it Bob...

Marilyn

Last edited:
Good point - a very easy work around that I used in the past was to send the icon in question to the very last page and leave it there on its own.

My app store lived there for a while when I did not want a specific update for an app. Not ideal, but it helps.

I dont know. I'm just not very optimistic on the whole jailbreak for IOS 5.

It doesnt seem like it's going to happen any time soon, so dont hold your breath

MIKES3 said:
I dont know. I'm just not very optimistic on the whole jailbreak for IOS 5.

It doesnt seem like it's going to happen any time soon, so dont hold your breath

Same here

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back