What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The "Anything Goes" thread

We nipped into Covent Garden after enjoying the Museum of London.

I wanted my niece to enjoy the place and some street theatre.

image-4291338713.jpg

image-1994324724.jpg

The Charlie Chaplin mime artist was a hoot. However his victim from the audience got a more rowdy round of applause after the act : D

image-3164505086.jpg

image-2638928899.jpg

I was delighted to see the string quintet there. They are hilarious and will walk among the audience selling their CDs and posing.

image-675653853.jpg

However, if you are down there near them. Do not, I repeat DO NOT try to take a photo while they are looking at you!

I do enjoy that place. We will be revisiting one weekend. ;)

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF - Greetings

Great photos Richard!

I've got to ask, why shouldn't you take a photo when they are looking at you?

Did you? ;)

leelai said:
Great photos Richard!

I've got to ask, why shouldn't you take a photo when they are looking at you?

Did you? ;)

Ooh, I definitely didn't :)

If they spot you, one peels off from the group and comes up close to play to you, followed by the others. Hinting that they would like a tip. If you try to move away, they all follow. It is very very funny.

We also fell about laughing as they sold their CD while playing!

Last edited:
Richard Brown said:
Ooh, I definitely didn't :)

If they spot you one peels off from the group and comes up close to play to you, followed by the others. Hinting that they would like a tip. It is very very funny.

We also fell about laughing as they sold their CD while playing!

Oh yes I thought as much, we've been caught by that and our girls turned beetroot red!

I think I did too.....A great day had by all by the looks! :D

You talk about getting books free from the kindle site but my fav is getting books free online from my public library. They have new books both fiction and nonfiction. Do your libraries over there have online circulation? And can you tell I'm a retired librarian who still loves libraries.

Bobbi

Bennettb said:
You talk about getting books free from the kindle site but my fav is getting books free online from my public library. They have new books both fiction and nonfiction. Do your libraries over there have online circulation? And can you tell I'm a retired librarian who still loves libraries.

Bobbi

I'm not sure whether our libraries do. I will have to find out. My library has supplied books for me on the library inter-loan system.

Our main library in Bromley has changed with electronic check out and check in of loaned books. There are fewer librarians around to help. I miss the personal service. There are fewer and fewer books, but more and more DVDs and videos on loan.

I took my guests to the Wellcome Foundation on London, and showed them the fantastic library there. It's in an Art Deco setting and covers a superb range of subjects allied to medicine. That morning we visited the British Library where I exercised my limited skills as a tour guide.

Like you, I love libraries Bennettb. I also have a weak spot for second hand bookshops :)

Bennettb said:

Bobbi

I'm in Ottawa, Canada where the city's Public Library does offer ebook loans.
There's an easy to navigate "get started page"
and available software downloads for the PC and a variety of mobile devices.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

AdmiralAdama said:
I'm in Ottawa, Canada where the city's Public Library does offer ebook loans.
There's an easy to navigate "get started page"
and available software downloads for the PC and a variety of mobile devices.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

I believe that the ebooks available from my library are Kobo, not Kindle.

Last edited:
Our library (marathon county public library, in WI) uses the Overdrive app and many books are available in kindle or adobe format. You can direct your download to the kindle or overdrive app (or perhaps other reader apps? I did download to Bluefire a very long time ago.) My only complaint is the uncertain time before the book becomes available.

Czevski said:
Our library (marathon county public library, in WI) uses the Overdrive app and many books are available in kindle or adobe format. You can direct your download to the kindle or overdrive app (or perhaps other reader apps? I did download to Bluefire a very long time ago.) My only complaint is the uncertain time before the book becomes available.

I have been investigating, and yes Bromley libraries do e-books.

I'm having fun trying to get things to work. Kindle e-books are only available in the USA. I cannot download adobe pubs onto iPad as i need Flash. So, I am trying out Overdrive. There is a learning curve here ;)

Czevski said:
The adobe format is ePub not flash.

Thanks Czevski. The Adobe site was trying to tell me to install the latest version of Flash! However, I have managed to get Overdrive up and running now, along with registering my Adobe user ID.

All looks promising with Overdrive. I'm browsing a book called Lost london. The illustrations and text are fine :)

Isn't it sad news here in the UK about the 2 policewomen lured to their deaths on a call to investigate a "robbery". IMHO the perpetrator is an absolute coward.

Richard Brown said:
Isn't it sad news here in the UK about the 2 policewomen lured to their deaths on a call to investigate a "robbery". IMHO the perpetrator is an absolute coward.

I hope the murderers get the maximum penalty the law allows.

Most reactions

Latest posts

Back